Monday, May 02, 2005

Offline

For the last couple of days I've been struggling with my internet connection. At first, I didn't even realize that I couldn't access the net. I was re-building my HTPC (home theatre personal computer) and I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out why I couldn't access the net. I thought it was Windows' stupid firewall, or maybe some service that I accidentally turned off. (This was all on Friday night.) I was getting really pissed. I also wasn't thinking straight because it was late. I decided to sleep on it.

On Saturday I started playing with my HTPC, checking and re-checking everything. It just didn't make sense! Then it hit me... Could I even get to the net with my main computer? Nope! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It's amazing how you can get soo focused on one thing and not step back and take everything into consideration.

When I originally plugged in my HTPC, I bumped the cable out of my router. It shouldn't have been soo easy to do. Unfortunately I had two cables with no tabs. You know, the little clippy things that hold the plug in the jack. ;) I now could at least access my router. But I still couldn't get on the freakin' net. I continued to play with cables, testing and re-testing everything. Still nothing. Break time...

I went out and rented Blade Trinity. Not too bad of a flick. It was pretty predictable but it made up for it with Jessica Biel. I love an athletic brunette...especially one with long hair. She was kicking ass in skimpy outfits showing off her sweet booty. Parker Posey is also good. She's got those funky lips kinda like Gina Gershon. I don't mean to ruin it for you, but the bad guy dies. Whodathunkit?

Back to the fun. On Sunday, I decided to replace a couple of the questionable cables with new ones. $25 later, it still didn't work. Now I was starting to wonder if Time Warner had cut me off for some reason. I was playing around and plugged my computer directly into the cable modem. BAM! I got activity and access. This means that it was my router that was causing all the problems. After a master reset, everything was up and running.

This is definitely not the way I wanted to spend my weekend. I have to admit it though... The last time that I had to do anything major to my router was Janurary '01. Four years without a problem is pretty darn impressive.

If you made it through this technical post, you get a gold star. ;)

The really bad thing is that now all I want to do I go drinkin' and shoot pool. Considering it's 12am on Sunday, all I can say is... DOH!

1 Comments:

Blogger BP said...

Woohoo! A woohoo hat trick/turkey.

Everybody drinks!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home